Students must show consideration for their fellow classmates, faculty and the facilities. Students shall be respectful of their environment or lose the privilege to work there. Students are required to follow the policies and procedures outlined for each Department. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary action.
- 1st Offence: Meet with Director – 4 Hours Community Service/Rectify the infraction
- 2nd Offence: Courses put on HOLD, Lose Shop Privileges, Counseling with Dean of Students, 10 hours Community Service
GENERAL BUILDING RULES
- As of August 2014, use of tobacco is not longer allowed on campus grounds.
- Electronic cigarettes are allowed outside most buildings but not indoors.
- Bicycles are NOT to be stored or ridden in the building. No riding of skateboards, scooters, etc.
- Students are not to prop open exterior doors or otherwise disable door locks or mechanisms
- Students are to follow parking policy for building. Parking is permitted in designated spaces only.
- Students are not to park in loading areas, fire lanes or any other space marked as “no parking”.
- Students with handicap tags/plates must follow the same rules and have vehicle/tag registered with Parking and Transit. Students are not allowed to park in any of the construction areas.
- Furniture (sofas, hammocks, bedding, futons, etc) are not allowed in studios.
- Hotplates, microwaves, coffee pots, toaster ovens and refrigerators are not allowed in studio.
- Radios, MP3 players, computers, etc... used in the studio must be used with headphones.
TOOLS AND MATERIALS
- All spray paints, spray adhesives, bondo, etc… must be used in one of the two spray booths. No spraying or use of chemical agents, or solvents is permitted at your workstation.
- All flammables including spray paints, spray adhesives, bondo, etc must be stored in metal cabinets, one is provided by the spray booth in JLF 101 and one is provided in JLF 110.
- No extension cords are permitted in the studios.
- Students are required to wear safety glasses when using any tools in studio areas.
- No hand tools or power tools of any kind are permitted to be used in studio during class hours M-F 8:AM-4:50PM or during hours in which the wood-shop is open.
- No sanding of any kind is permitted in the studios at anytime. All sanding, whether wood, plaster, metal, bondo, acrylics, must be done in the wood shop. Plaster, mortar mixes and concrete mixes must be used only in designated areas, no mixing or pouring plaster, mortar, or concrete is permitted at studio workstations.
- After studio hours beginning at 4:50 PM the only hand tools permitted in the studios are hand saws, hammers, chisels, or block planes.
- After shop hours beginning at 10:00 PM the only power tools permitted in studio are rotary tools, scroll saws, hand drills or cordless drills. Students assume the responsibility for knowing all safety requirements of any approved tool they own or borrow and bring into studio.
- The following tools are not permitted in the studio at any time: band saws, circular saws, table saws, radial arm saws, miter saws, jigsaws, reciprocating saws, or similar saws, routers, belt sanders, palm sanders, spindle sanders, disc sanders, grinders, or similar sanders/grinders, kilns, hand torches, soldering or welding equipment, or similar heat sources, pneumatic tools, and drill presses.
- All students are required to attend shop orientation and safety classes prior to using the woodshop. In addition all students are responsible for knowing the woodshop safety manual.
Use of X-Acto blades and Box Cutters are the most common cause of accidents in Fletcher. Proper use and handling will ensure safe operation.
- EYE PROTECTION –Students must wear safety glasses/goggles when using X-Acto knives/box cutters
- Take Precautions – Use cutting board or matte on stable surface. Cut resistant gloves should be worn. Clamp material and/or straight edge securely before cutting. Use rubber backed rulers/straight edge.
- Be Aware of Surroundings - Be aware of those around you and the direction in which you are cutting. Always make sure free hand is clear of the path in which you are cutting.
- Proper Use – Use caution and focus. Take your time and void distractions. Never force the cut, make multiple light cuts into thicker material. Before cutting, see if safer option is available in wood shop.
- Storage/Disposal – Make sure blade is covered or retracted before walking with tool. Never store tool with exposed blade. Dispose of used blades properly.
WORK STORAGE / CLEAN OUT POLICY
- All work and materials must be performed or stored at a students workstation. At no time may work be stored or materials be stored in corridors, crit areas, or JLF101.
- All walkways both within and around studios must be clear in case of fire or emergency for egress.
- Upper level students are only allowed to used white first year desks without nametags.
- All students must remove all projects, tools and supplies from their work area each semester before or on the designated clean-out day at the end of each semester. All paper and materials must be cleaned from around your work desk and area. Students are responsible for working conditions of their desk and surrounding area at all times. Students may be asked to hang work for exhibitions and fall and spring student show. Work that is left in the studio after the clean out date will be discarded. A certain percentage of the student’s grade will be determined by the final removal of all items and cleanliness of the studio.
Seek medical attention if injured. For minor cuts, First Aid kits are available throughout building. Call University Police 482-6447 – 911 on a campus phone if emergency assistance is needed.